Dear Conservation District Officials,
Today, I am pleased to announce the first round of 2021 awards from the NACD Technical Assistance Grants program. This is the fourth year we have been able to carry out this project in cooperation with and thanks to funding from the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).
These funds will support over 425 full- and part-time individuals, resulting in approximately 238 full-time equivalent staffing. More than $3.83 million of matching funds are to be added to these awards, further increasing the impact of the grants. State, territory and tribal conservation partnership leaders have identified high priority locations and workloads to help guide where the funds can best be placed.
The awards announced today will support resource technicians, conservation planners, program support specialists and technical specialists based on the local needs and priorities identified by state leaders. These employees will provide conservation technical assistance to help customers carry out their conservation plans. We anticipate the staff will be working with nearly 25,000 district clients to increase their access to and completion of contracts and conservation plans. One of the expected accomplishments of this round of funding is getting nearly 19,000 conservation practices on the ground.
These funds will support current projects for an additional 12 months beyond their previously awarded funding. If funds continue to be available and state/territory/tribal conservation partnership leaders desire the work to continue, they will have further opportunities. NACD will be releasing a Request for Proposals for new projects in the near future for another $1.9 million in funding.
Recipients of this first round of 2021 Technical Assistance Grants include:
- Alabama - Barbour County SWCD, Houston County SWCD, Lauderdale County SWCD, Lawrence County SWCD
- Alaska - Alaska Village Initiatives, Tyonek Tribal CD
- Arizona - Apache NRCD, Arizona Association of Conservation Districts, Big Sandy NRCD, Triangle/Chino Winds NRCD, West Pinal NRCD, Whitewater Draw NRCD, Willcox San-Simon NRCD
- Arkansas - Arkansas RC&D Council, Carroll County CD, Fulton County CD, Sebastian and Crawford County CDs, Sharp County CD, Western Border Counties Conservation Partnership
- California - Amador RCD, Cachuma RCD, Coarsegold RCD, Contra Costa RCD, East Stanislaus RCD, Honey Lake Valley RCD, Humboldt County RCD, Inland Empire RCD, Marin RCD, Napa County RCD, Solano RCD, Sonoma RCD, Tehachapi RCD, Tulare County RCD
- Colorado - Longmont and Boulder Valley CDs, San Juan CD
- Connecticut - Connecticut Council on Soil and Water Conservation
- Delaware - Sussex CD
- Florida - Hendry SWCD, Suwannee County SWCD
- Guam - Guam Association of SWCDs, Southern Guam SWCD
- Hawaii - Hawaii Association of Conservation Districts
- Idaho - Bruneau River CD, Butte SWCD, East Cassia SWCD
- Illinois - Champaign County SWCD, Clinton County SWCD, DeWitt County SWCD, Hamilton County SWCD, Henry County SWCD, Jefferson and Marion County SWCD, Macon County SWCD, McLean County SWCD, Rock Island County SWCD, White County SWCD
- Indiana - Allen County SWCD, Benton County SWCD, LaPorte County SWCD, Parke County SWCD, Washington County SWCD
- Iowa - Buchanan County SWCD, Buena Vista SWCD, Clayton SWCD, Fremont SWCD, Howard SWCD, Johnson County SWCD, Madison County SWCD, Mills County SWCD, Monroe SWCD, Scott SWCD, Wapello SWCD
- Kansas - Franklin County CD, Kansas Association of Conservation Districts, Miami County CD
- Kentucky - Fleming County CD
- Louisiana - Acadia SWCD, Grant SWCD, Gulf Coast SWCD, Morehouse SWCD, St. Landry SWCD
- Maine - Central Aroostook SWCD, Maine Association of Conservation Districts, St. John Valley SWCD
- Maryland - Talbot SCD
- Massachusetts - Hamden-Hampshire CD, Worcester County CD
- Michigan - Allegan CD, Gladwin CD, Ionia CD, Kent CD, Manistee CD, Menominee CD, Midland CD, Montcalm CD, Van Buren CD, Washtenaw County CD
- Minnesota - Becker SWCD, Benton SWCD, Southwest Prairie Technical Service Area, Wabasha SWCD
- Mississippi - Coahoma County SWCD, Hinds County SWCD, Humphreys County SWCD, Mississippi Association of Conservation Districts
- Missouri - Montgomery County SWCD, Nodaway County SWCD
- Montana - Broadwater CD, Cascade CD, Chouteau County CD, Lewis and Clark CD, Petroleum County CD
- Nebraska - Lewis and Clark NRD, Lower Elkhorn NRD, Lower Niobrara NRD, Lower Platte South NRD, Middle Niobrara NRD, Papio-Missouri River NRD
- New Hampshire - New Hampshire Association of Conservation Districts
- New Jersey - Cape Atlantic SCD, Morris County SCD, Ocean County SCD
- North Carolina - Duplin County Soil and Water, Mecklenburg SWCD, North Carolina Division of Soil and Water Conservation
- North Dakota - Cedar Soil CD
- Ohio - Ohio Federation of SWCDs
- Oklahoma - Custer County CD, Muscogee (Creek) Nation NRCD, Oklahoma County CD, Pontotoc County CD
- Oregon - Deschutes SWCD, Harney SWCD, Wasco County SWCD, West Multnomah SWCD
- Pennsylvania - Bucks County CD, Jefferson County CD, Lehigh County CD, Northampton County CD, Tioga County CD,
- Puerto Rico - Caribe SCD, Distrito de Conservación de Suelos y Aguas del Suroeste, Puerto Rico Association of Conservation Districts, West District SWCD
- Rhode Island - Rhode Island Association of Conservation Districts
- South Carolina - Barnwell SWCD, Clarendon SWCD, Horry SWCD, Oconee SWCD, Orangeburg County SWCD, Williamsburg SWCD
- South Dakota - Perkins County CD
- Tennessee - Blount County SCD, Claiborne County SCD, Washington County SCD
- Texas - Texas State Soil and Water Conservation Board
- Utah - Rich County CD, Sanpete CD, Utah Association of Conservation Districts
- Vermont - Vermont Association of Conservation Districts, White River NRCD
- Virgin Islands - Virgin Islands Department of Agriculture
- Washington - Central Klickitat CD, Clark CD, Grant County CD, Kittitas County CD, Palouse Rock Lake CD, Snohomish CD, Stevens County CD, Spokane Tribe of Indians CD
- West Virginia - Elk CD
- Wisconsin - Dane County Land and Water Resources Department, Glacierland RC&D Council, Golden Sands RC&D Council, Grant County Conservation, Planning and Zoning Dept., Marathon County Conservation, Planning and Zoning Dept.
- Wyoming - Cody CD, Crook County CD, Popo Agie CD, Shoshone CD, Sublette County CD
Congratulations to the recipients of these agreements. We especially appreciate all the work on the parts of state and territory conservation partnership leaders in completing requested information for getting these awards.
NACD staff will be following up with the awardees to complete the necessary arrangements for getting agreements signed and funds to them.